With all the upheavals in rental housing right now, there are many myths being bandied about. When industry spokespeople talk about the realities of creating and maintaining rental supply, they’re often accused of fear-mongering. We beg to differ—it’s time to separate fact from fiction.
The last 18 months or so would rate amongst the most challenging we’ve seen in almost two decades.
Motion would effectively downzone a number of properties, arbitrarily decreasing their value without consultation with affected landowners.
The Goodman Report has learned from a City of Vancouver planning department employee that a City councillor has filed a motion recommending cancellation of the City’s Secure Market Rental Housing Policy and the deforestation of approximately 10% of Stanley Park which is not being used.
The little City that could becomes the little City that won’t
Nature’s historic headwinds, which buffeted B.C.’s south coast in mid-December, were not the only blustery forces impacting our geographic area.
In at least 6 Vancouver and suburban communities, volumes and unit averages compared to 2017 were skewed upward almost beyond recognition.
Cambie bike lane anticipated in middle of bridge?
Regarding the language on redevelopment, we have three layers of concern.
Policies, programs and market forces all collided in a Big Bang-like explosion, leaving us with a chaos of uncertainty.
A 10-year picture (2009-2018)
Goodman Report for all market insights
We’ve been publishing market insights in our Goodman Report for decades, which the industry has come to rely on. You can download previous reports from the last few years here.
- 2018 Year-end review
- 2018 Mid-year review
- 2017 Year-end review
- 2017 Q3 review
- 2017 Mid-year review
- 2016 Year-end review
- 2016 Mid-year review
- 2015 Year-end review
- 2015 Mid-year review
- 2014 Year-end review
- 2014 Canadian apartment investment conference
- 2014 Mid-year review
- 2014 Multi-family values
- 2014 The art of the deal
- 2013 Year-end review
- 2013 30-year anniversary
- 2013 Mid-year review
- 2012 Year-end review
- 2012 Q3 review
- 2012 Mid-year review
- 2011 Year-end review
- 2011 Canadian apartment investment conference
- 2011 Mid-year review
- 2010 Year-end review
- 2010 Mid-year review
- 2009 Year-end review
- 2009 Mid-year review
- 2008 Year-end review
- 2008 Mid-year review
- 2007 Year-end review
- 2007 It's not just about cap rates
- 2007 A contagious southern chill
- 2007 Mid-year review
- 2006 Year-end review
- 2006 How the big are getting bigger
- 2006 Mid-year review
- 2006 Looking back, looking ahead
- 2005 Year-end review
- 2004 Year-end review
- 2004 It's a whole new ballgame
- 2003 Year-end review
- 2003 Blue skies or grey clouds?
- 2002 Website sparks surge in sales activity
- 2002 Year-end review
- 2002 A surging market
- 2000 An industry in change
- 2019 Apartment building sales
- 2018 Apartment building sales
- 2017 Apartment building sales
- 2016 Apartment building sales
- 2015 Apartment building sales
- 2014 Apartment building sales
- 2013 Apartment building sales
- 2012 Apartment building sales
- 2011 Apartment building sales
- 2010 Apartment building sales
- 2009 Apartment building sales